- Wildlife Conservation & Management
- Marine Conservation
- Wildlife Care & Rehabilitation
- Wildlife Veterinary Experience
- Community Projects
- Wildlife Courses
- Group Placements
- All Projects
- Who Volunteers?
- Essential Details
- News & Events
- About Us
- Apply to Join
Responsible Travel Policy
When you join our projects you are making a valuable contribution to conservation efforts and are contributing to the protection of wildlife and ecosystems. However, we are also aware that all overseas travel can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment and on communities. Our responsible travel policy sets out our commitment to you to make your entire experience with ACE as environmentally and culturally friendly as possible!
- African Conservation Experience carbon offsets all our flights to and from southern Africa using Climatecare
- Our UK office recycles paper, ink cartridges, cardboard and glass. We carry out energy-saving practices such as turning off electrical equipment when not in use. All our staff are committed to protecting our environment and carry these practices through to their home life
- Where possible we use suppliers and printers who also have a strong environmental policy
- Projects recycle, save energy and minimize water usage wherever possible
- All our promotional material and other documentation and stationery is printed on recycled paper, or on paper from a certified sustainable source
- Volunteers are given information on arrival about cultural differences they may experience while on a project and also ways in which to deal sensitively with these differences
- We sponsor a local youth football team from a deprived area by providing them with sport clothing and team badges
- African Conservation Experience supports environmental and wildlife charities in southern Africa and in the UK, see our supporting the community information for more details
- 60% of the cost of our placements is put directly back in to the in projects southern Africa
- Each project provides sustainable employment for the staff and allows them to build personal financial security
- All food and supplies are purchased locally, and volunteers are encouraged to buy their souvenirs from small village craft outlets
- All staff in the countries we work in are employed locally at a good wage. Many are provided with meals and accommodation as part of their employment package
- All suppliers are treated on a “Fair Trade” basis
Climate Care and Carbon Offsetting
As a keen conservationist, we are sure you are aware that air travel releases gases that contribute to global warming, such as carbon dioxide. In fact, your flight will be the largest environmental impact of your placement.
In line with our Responsible Travel Policy, we've teamed up with an organisation called Climate Care, to offset any damage your placement causes the environment. Climate Care funds sustainable energy and forest restoration projects that reduce carbon dioxide on your behalf, by the same amount as your share of the plane emits.
Your return flight to Johannesburg will create 2.63 tons of Carbon!
African Conservation Experience contribute over £22 per volunteer to Climate Care, which balances the carbon emissions from the flight, through Climate Care's energy saving projects, with no extra cost to you!
Here's an example of a Climate Care project we are supporting in Africa;
“In South Africa, 95% of electricity is generated from coal in power stations, with the result that CO2 emissions per unit of electricity are some of the highest in the world.
The majority of people use traditional incandescent lights in their houses, which are cheaper but use far more electricity than modern efficient ones. People do not know about efficient lamps and if they do, cannot afford them. Climate Care is working with a number of partners such as municipalities, housing developers and local environmental groups across South Africa to install energy efficient lighting in low income households. Approximately 50,000 of these bulbs were installed in 2005.”
Click here to download a copy of our brochure in PDF format or to request a printed copy to be sent to you in the post